[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Shortest-Path

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Apr 6 11:37:19 CEST 2002

William Murdick wrote:

> Quick question for everyone about shortest-path
> sorting/searching. Helping write a mud from the ground up and I'm
> having to rewrite much of the shortest-path calculations due to
> the differences in our mud design. I have an undirected graph
> loaded into an adjacency list. What I want to do, of course, is
> trace a path from Point A which is the NPC to Point B and then
> return the entire path so that the NPC can then "walk" the path
> path.

> Trying to figure out what the best algorithm would be to use for
> this...  Djikstra, Depth-First, Breadth-First, or some other. Does
> anyone have any suggestions? This is my first foray into this sort
> of sorting and searching and so I am not that familiar with it
> all.

Basically, breadth first, and mark the rooms you've already visited
because mud zones often have loops.  I put a limit on my algorithm
to around 100 rooms for performance reasons (you have to get that
close to effectively track someone.)

You can find the Tree class that I use to remember the path in my
game at: scry.wanfear.com, but that code is extremely complex, and I
can't easily explain it anymore (it does work, though :))

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>