[MUD-Dev] Reality check ...(long) [was Re: Black Snow Revisited]

Miroslav Silovic miro at vams.com
Thu Apr 11 11:46:51 CEST 2002

Sean Kelly wrote:

> One issue, with regards to a big OO model in the engine, that is
> going to be a pain, that you w/ Java may not have to worry about,
> is memory management, especially when you integrate a scripting
> language.  I'm writing Scriptix specifically for MUDix (a MUD
> client) and AweMUD (a MUD engine), and I know AweMUD will need
> some serious rewriting in places in order to get it to play nicely
> with Scriptix' GC memory management. (Granted, AweMUD generally
> needs to be rewritten anyhow, some of the design decisions I made
> when I was 15 are still haunting me today...  ~,^)

This is interesting. I've written a fairly large application in C
and Guile (Scheme, with a real and usable GC). Basically, I had VERY
few problems interfacing the two. Admittably, Guile is written with
the explicit goal of easy interfacing with C (in particular,
conservative stack scanning means you don't have to allow for GC in,
basically, every C function that works with foreign data).

BTW, if you're using a subsystem with GC, it's a good idea to use
that GC for the entire application.

    Miro