[MUD-Dev] [DGN] MUD developer's motives

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Fri Apr 12 21:25:54 CEST 2002

Dave Rickey:

> Social engineering has never been an experimental science before.

Then you are unaware of the history of sociocultural anthropology.
At its inception, it was used to make colonial domination easier.

> Anyway, real-world social rules have grown centered around certain
> rules known as the laws of physics.  Only so much food, only so
> much living space, only so many potential breeding partners, etc.
> The virtual worlds do not have to obey those rules, in fact they
> violate them routinely.  As a result, there is at least the
> *potential* for creating societies that go beyond anything
> possible in the real world.  It's the doctrine of human
> perfectability, re-written for a digital age.

We are all still limited by available time.  Also, we can't remember
everything, nor absorb everything.  Resource limitations are
definitely with us in the virtual space.

20% of the world is real.