[MUD-Dev] [DGN] MUD developer's motives

shren shren at io.com
Sun Apr 14 12:28:59 CEST 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Patricia Pizer wrote:

> What do I want to accomplish in making MMOs? A difficult and
> complex question to be sure. I started making games 14 years ago
> for Infocom. I still want one of the same things I wanted then: to
> make the world a better place for my having been here.

> At one time, I was satisfied to make people laugh or keep them
> entertained and worked on games that reflected those things. I now
> see that the MMO *is* the gate through which we shall *all* pass
> and that it goes well beyond the realm of "game." Read "Snowcrash"
> again; read Vernor Vinge's "True Names" which is as pertinent as
> it was nearly 20 years ago. Science fiction, is, after all, a
> projection of society through the lens of developing
> technology. And it isn't fiction any more.

> The common thread among the supporters of this notion is that MMOs
> go *WAY* beyond being games. It's not really about games anymore;
> it's about how we will live and act in Cyberspace.

Everyone seems to think that thier area of specialization is much
more relevant than it actually is.  Philosophers think that
philosophy will change the world, generals think that war will save
the world, and it seems that MUD authors think that they are
creating a new one.

Everyone has an overinflated sense of importance about thier own
specialization.  Including me.

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx