[MUD-Dev] TECH: Complex NPCs

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Mon Apr 15 21:14:24 CEST 2002

From: "Sasha Hart" <harts at reed.edu>
> [Sean Kelly]

>> A Sims person, then, just needs to evaluate which need is
>> greatest and then follow the slope to that satisfaction object.
>> The only exception is the bed, whose slope extends across the
>> entire Sims world, since the need for sleep overrides everything.

> Maybe someone who knows more about this kind of thing can chip in,
> but this basic hill-climbing principle is quite powerful as long
> as the height map (or vectors) are being maintained sensibly.

> Staddon has a forage model which is based on it. He is probably
> not quite right; the cool thing is the power of a simple method.

It is basically an ever-changing fitness graph that the Sims
navigate physically.  Any books on genetic algorithms probably have
some mention of the idea.

I guess my real complain about calling the Sims AI is that they
never actually learn anything.  But then they do display emergent
behavior so perhaps that's enough.

Sean