[MUD-Dev] Dilemmas in a (game) designer's life ?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Apr 17 02:59:53 CEST 2002

Marc Demesel:

> Some part of myself says to me that I desperately need all this
> information and looking for it and taking in through is rich and
> worth doing, even more I believe it's a condition to succeed. But at
> the same time I have this fear of not finishing the product yet
> again!
>
> Is this recognizable to anyone?

Sure.  You err on the side of overcontemplation.  A partial solution is
instead of thinking binary black/white about it, think about a valuated
range from 0.0 to 1.0, frivolous contemplation to mindless production.  Your
own life patterns are somewhere on that value range.  Where should they be?
I'm going to say probably within 0.50..0.75.  You should allow yourself some
knowledge collection because you enjoy it.  But the reality is that
accomplishing things is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.  Notice I didn't
say you should be at 0.9.  I think that would be highly unrealistic, given
the proclivities of a game designer.  It's up to you to decide how you're
going to administrate that 0.50..0.75 range, however.  If you don't execute,
you fail.

I myself have been wasting a lot of 4 years figuring this out.

20% of the world is real.