[MUD-Dev] MUDs and societal transformations

shren shren at io.com
Wed Apr 17 06:10:22 CEST 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Patricia Pizer:

>> I now see that the MMO *is* the gate through which we shall *all*
>> pass

> Really.  As opposed to 1 week artsy fartsy Pygame competitions,
> which is my current idea of how games might become better tools of
> cultural exchange?  As opposed to my Dad, who's going to get to
> games when the weather finally "turns bad" in South Carolina?
> That'll be awhile, I see fishing in his future!  Or my Mom, who's
> mainly addicted to simple skill games like Tetris, Klax, Monopoly,
> and Hearts?  Or by "all" did you mean all of us developers on this
> list?  Kind of a small crowd, not exactly the future of the world.
> Have you checked the demographics on all of this?  You sure you're
> not thinking like a rock star?

Very elegantly put.  Come to think of it, I think the fact that
people are now using computers to play old games (chess, poker,
hearts, bridge, go) with people around the world might have a
greater long term effect, especially if/when voice chat is a common
feature of the game rooms.

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx