[MUD-Dev] MUDs and societal transformations

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Apr 17 15:10:33 CEST 2002

Marc Bowden:
> <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote:
>> Patricia Pizer:

>>> If you took the vocal members of the roundtable and separated
>>> them into 2 groups, you'd find all the concerned members in the
>>> group of those that actually have experience designing,
>>> publishing and running successful MMOs.  Funny so many of them
>>> have come to the same conclusion, isn't it?

>> Now take all the people in the room who didn't speak.  Are they
>> lacking experience?  If they are experienced, then it would say
>> more about who's willing to make a fuss about this or that.

> The Bram Stoker approach is negated by the qualifier "vocal
> members".

Actually with that correction Patricia's statement says even less.
It says we're not even paying attention to experienced MUD admins
who didn't care to comment.  Rather, within the self-selecting group
of a social consciousness roundtable, there's a "funny" division
between socially minded MUD admins and their players.  Gee, what's
funny about that?  Nothing, it's what anyone would reasonably
expect.  MUD admins wanna control player behavior and players don't
wanna be controlled.  MUD admins wanna cut down their workload in
various respects, players want various freedoms and services for
their dollars.

The question is, how many MUD *admins* buy into this social
consciousness gloom and doom?

20% of the world is real.