[MUD-Dev] Dilemmas in a (game) designer's life ?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sat Apr 20 11:15:08 CEST 2002

John Buehler:

> The important thing here is that we keep our eyes on the prize:
> happy use of our product by a customer.  Deriving primary
> satisfaction from any other step along the way will mean that you
> may very well pause and never go beyond that step.

But as far as I'm concerned, that's not the prize.  The prize is
ongoing financial support for doing whatever the heck makes you
happy.  Happy customers is only a means to an end.  You have to take
the risk of enjoying yourself too much because that's the reason
you're doing games and not accounting software.  I agree that one
should manage the risk, but it's a mistake to think it's "secondary"
to look to your own enjoyment.  People are way, way, way too
concerned with the power of the audience.  They'd do better to
consider the power of the marketers and distributors.  If you can
avoid being self-absorbed enough to kick a decent product out the
door, then the bottleneck is getting people aware of the product so
that they can buy it.

20% of the world is real.