[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Wed Apr 24 14:15:14 CEST 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Tand'a-ur wrote:

> Okay question first then background information.

> What would be good ways of making sure that no one had more than
> one account? I will be requiring a non-free email addy for
> confermation, and probably logging ips. I can see someone just
> faking their ip to make a new account though and always using that
> faked ip.

We went the non-free email route for a while, and discovered that it
was driving away some players, so we changed it a couple of years
ago.  Multiplayers are always a problem, but we do have a utility
that will go through and list IPs that more than one account is
connecting from.  Coupled with being able to track log-in times,
that enables us to weed out the really egregious ones, but I'm aware
that it's still a problem.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no way to prevent it -- nor
do I want our staff wasting too much time tracking this sort of
thing, since I'd rather they be spending time/energy on plotline
stuff.  We do notice the obvious ones, such as someone looking in
with another account in order to go loot his/her recently deceased
corpse, but that's as far as I want to go along those lines.

Sanvean
Armageddon MUD.  Roleplay required.