[MUD-Dev] How much is enough?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Apr 24 16:26:15 CEST 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Justin Coleman wrote:

> For example, in a MMORPG, do players really *need* to see their
> characters' stats? Do they need to see *exactly* how many points
> of damage a weapon does, how many HP that monster has, or how many
> more foobobs they have to kill before they gain a level?

No, they don't need to see those numbers. In Achaea, players see few
numbers aside from their exact health, mana, willpower, and
endurance. They have no way of knowing exactly how much damage
they're doing to mobiles (to players they do obviously, as they can
test on each other). They can't see how much xp they have (only what
percent of the way they are to the next level).

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It works in
Achaea, but I don't have any reason to believe showing them exact
numbers would work less well.

--matt