[MUD-Dev] Re:Blacksnow revisited

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Apr 25 11:24:51 CEST 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Norman Short wrote:

> This one made me laugh.  Take away owning things and EQ just
> became a chat room.  All those EQ players spending hundreds of
> hours camping to get an epic weapon and they just have the wrong
> attitude.  The games themselves encourage the idea of ownership
> and acquisition, then you turn the game on its ear and tell them
> they don't own anything, not even themselves.  It's the journey,
> not the destination you are telling me.  I'm just saying that as
> presented the journey became a lot more unsatisfying.

Do you actually own your house?  Or does the bank own it, helpfully
allowing you to live there while you pay off a large mortgage?  How
about your car?  Is the deed in your hands, or is it in the hands of
your auto financier?

Ownership was a cloudy issue long before the internet came along,
and there is certainly precedent for people believing they owned
stuff that technically they did not.

-d