[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Apr 26 15:24:24 CEST 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Patrick Black wrote:

> The problem I see with RL sales is that there is not investment in
> developing the character.  Characters end up with gear simply
> because they happen to have extra dollars to spend.

Similarly, you can say, "The problem I see with RL time being a
factor is that there is not investment in developing the
character. Characters end up with gear simply because they happen to
have extra hours to play."

One is an "investment" in time, one is an "investment" in money.

> level.  The game then becomes more and more unplayable for those
> who either cannot or will not purchase items for RL currency.

"The game then becomes more and more unplayable for those who either
cannot or will not spend 16 hours a day playing it."

> Buying items for RL money also does very little if anything to
> foster any sort of community in the game.  For many games, at
> least for the one I work for, the sense of community is what keeps
> many players coming back.

"Buying items with time also does very little if anything to foster
any sort of community in the game."

--matt