[MUD-Dev] [MLP] Why care about levels? (was: The use of ecology models)

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Fri Apr 26 19:03:13 CEST 2002

[Damion Schubert]

> One of the problems I've seen frequently is that players rarely
> seem compelled to fight over the McGuffins that we developers put
> in front of them.  Make it all about prestige and people ignore
> it.  Make it a statistical bonus, and people will collude in order
> to find a way that gives as many people as possible the bonus.

What always seems strange to me is that people care about any of
it. Why should one form of abstract flag twiddling ("statistical
bonus") matter more than another?

I don't know, and I think this is in its entirety is a huge and
interesting question - but if I had to guess about why a
"statistical bonus" works and these don't, it would have to do with
what they let you do.  Being nominally the owner of a patch of land,
as in "a sign reads: this acre belongs to Jon" is pretty cheap.

I'm still confused why levels work at all. All I can say is that
they do.  What is the distinction between stats that matter and
stats that don't?

Sasha