[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:14:15 CEST 2002

From: "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk>

> I'm not sure what the survey meant by "inactive" accounts. At
> first glance, it would appear that these are mean accounts which
> people pay for every month but that they don't use any more;
> however, as there wasn't an option for people who once had an
> account but have now cancelled it, I'd have to conclude that this
> is probably more likely what an "inactive account" is. In other
> words, 11.2% of the survey respondents who play DAoC also have an
> EQ account, and 42.3% had one once but don't any more (ie. they're
> "ex-players").

Actually, this is the question I was referring to:

Quote from http://www.nickyee.com/codeblue/demographics.html

  "Number of Accounts Out of about every 3 UO players, 1 has 2
  accounts. Out of about every 4 EQ players, 1 has 2 accounts, Out
  of about every 10 DAOC players, 1 has 2 accounts. All 3 are
  significantly different from each other at p<.001."

I took the question to mean multiple accounts on the same game, so
that you have a Cleric who /follows your Warrior around to heal/rez
him, or your druid who teleports your "Main Guy" around so you don't
have to beg for ports... playing these accounts simultaneously
(though I suppose not necessarily simultaneously), on 2 computers.

I know a few people who have multiple accounts, but not
many... certainly not as many as the study suggests.

I would find your interpretation of the question a lot more
believable.

Madrona Tree.