[MUD-Dev] The quandry of mob combat in MUDs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Tue Apr 30 09:32:44 CEST 2002

From: Adam [mailto:ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com]

> So, I'd suggest designers could try shifting the goalposts - you
> mention that you don't find the risk the most appealing part of
> the dangerous battles, and although the situation above came about
> by accident (I think its the first time I'd experienced something
> like that in the particualr game in over a year of play!) it shows
> that "high reward in return for difficult battle" does not have to
> be coupled with "much bigger risk of dying". Battles don't have to
> be difficult just because of the danger...

I think that sounds like a great encounter, and something more games
should aspire too. I had a similar situation myself recenlty which
called for taking out the leader of a mob while not dying to his
minions. Being a long range caster I was ok (as long as I ran like
hell!) but still, it was more fun than the usual mob.

The other 'fun' encounter I almost had was a few weeks ago when I
wanted to take on 3 critters, all a little weaker than me, but all
still tough. With some quick spell work I might have had them all,
but the risk was too high and the cost of dying too much for me to
contemplate it. Would have been fun tho :)

Instead, it's back to the 1 on 1 repititive bashing for me :).  I
guess it's self inflicted since I'm not forced to play like this,
but it is what the game rewards most..

Peter