[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Tue Apr 30 20:47:29 CEST 2002

From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>
> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
>> Dave Rickey writes:

> But the Bartle Test seems to detect many of them, in the very same
> games that Yee failed to find them in.  Either Yee's methodology
> is mistaken, or that of the Bartle Test.  Your explanation was
> that Yee didn't find them because they weren't there, not being
> attracted to those games, but that doesn't account for why the
> Bartle Test seemed to find them in the same population.  Since the
> Bartle test *assumed* the existence of explorers, while Yee's
> methodology allowed the possibility of disproving them, I lean
> towards Yee's data (disprovability being a core element of any
> valid theory).

The other difference is the sample, i.e. the respondents. Were those
in Yee's study representative of the whole population? Were
Bartle's? If neither were, were they representative of each other?

The thing to do is to give some people both sets, and see how the
scores on each test correlate with each other. That will shed some
light on the issues.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com