[MUD-Dev] TECH: Path MTU Discovery

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Thu Aug 1 00:36:04 CEST 2002

I was wondering if games that use UDP for network communication ever
do any sort of path MTU (maximum transmission unit) discovery.  On
one hand, being able to get the most out of a UDP packet without
increasing the chance of packet loss via losing a fragment would be
nice.  On the other hand, the added complexity to the endpoints of
the communication link might be great enough to nullify the
potential benefits.

I don't really have any reference.  :) Can anyone out there speak
about how his/her project tackled this?  I suspect that a lot of
products just set the UDP packet size to a small, common value (or
rather, fit the data to that value) and let the 'Net sort out the
rest.  But that's just a hunch.

Just curious, thanks.
Eli

--
Give a man some mud, and he plays for a day.
Teach a man to mud, and he plays for a lifetime.