[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Aug 1 19:36:14 CEST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> In Go and Chess and other games like that, you usually aren't
>> playing against other masters, but when you play CS or PK in many
>> games, you end up stuck against people with FAR more experience
>> than you. If you had to play a Master every time you started
>> playing chess, I bet it'd become unentertaining. Challenge is
>> good. Feeling as if you are screwed from the start is not fun.

> Actually, Go has a ranking and handicap system that allows even a
> novice player to challenge a master and keep things fairly even.
> I imagine something similar could be done for RTS games to keep
> things even as well.

Yeah, I know, but it's not the same to me at least. Knowing that I'm
being treated like a retarded stepchild just to have a chance of
competing against someone else isn't at all fun. It's even less fun
than being beaten over and over with even resources, because winning
just feels cheap and empty, and losing is even worse. =)

--matt