[MUD-Dev] Non-traditional monsters?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Fri Aug 2 02:20:31 CEST 2002

Jack Britt wrote:

> While orcs, goblins and dragons will definitely be featured, I'd
> like to pull things from other cultures.

Because it's late for me, I failed to zoom in on the true nature of
your request.  "Other cultures."  I'd ask, what's so important about
other cultures?  Are you interested in the mythological structure of
other cultures?  In which case I'd think orcs etc. would be rather
dissonant.

Or are you just looking for pre-baked monster ideas that don't
require any further design work?  Best source for that would be a
library or a bookstore.  I think I've even seen pan-cultural
mythological indexes on the Barnes & Noble bargain rack.  Big
picture book stuff, should be perfect.  Might not have much depth,
but if you want more depth you look for a book on a specific culture
I suppose.

Or, if the point is to have "anything but an orc," see my comments
in my other post.  That's the problem of being creative, which I now
realize isn't what you were asking about.

Actually I get a chuckle out of "non-traditional" monsters.  They're
certainly traditional in someone else's culture!

20% of the world is real.