[MUD-Dev] Non-traditional monsters?

Jack Britt mud at experimentzero.org
Fri Aug 2 10:02:23 CEST 2002

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com>
> Jack Britt wrote:

>> One thing that I want to do is to have non-traditional monsters
>> for our game. While orcs, goblins and dragons will definitely be
>> featured,

> Why bother?  I mean really, why not just wholesale get rid of 'em?
> Aren't there enough MUDs in the world with this stuff?  How about
> some product differentiation?  Are you afraid your MUD engineers
> will cry if there are no trolls?

No. I like these creatures and they will have a nice familiar feel
to them.  But I don't want them to dominate the MUD.

<snip>

> If you're asking about Pacific Islanders, why are they terribly
> important?  Just because they're neat source material?  Or do you
> want to bind your stories to their myths in some way?  Do Orcs get
> in the way of telling Pacific Islander stories?  Why are they in
> the same MUD?

Pacific Islanders was just an example. To me, I'd like players to be
able to wander around the MUD and not have it all look like the
British Isles. :)

--
"My mom says I'm cool."