[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Aug 3 18:29:53 CEST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, John Buehler wrote:
> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> I noticed on Warcraft III on Battle.net that the larger the
>> group, the faster my side loses. We're all terrible at it, but
>> manage to get online together because we all 'hang out' in
>> Achaea. Any group above 2 people on the enemy side, however,
>> seems to be composed entirely of highly-skilled teenagers with
>> names like HappiMooCow or mo_murdah. It leads me to speculate
>> that the only people who are actually getting together in groups
>> online, at established times to participate together, are
>> hardcore gamers. Being a casual gamer would seem to preclude
>> setting yourself a gaming schedule.

> I generally agree with this paragraph, but remember that you look
> to PvP as a primary source of entertainment, and that gets very
> personal.  I assume that players *want* to go up against the same
> opponents because it's the personal element that makes it most
> entertaining.  Beating or being beaten by random opponents isn't
> really in the true spirit of competition.  Competition takes a
> desire to excel and to invest of one's time and energies to get
> better.  And that is the opposite of a casual gamer.  Or so goes
> my claim.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the 'true spirit of
competition.' For instance, I'm fighting in my first submission
grappling tournament next week. I've never met or heard of any of
the people I'll be fighting, but I can tell you that the competitive
juices are flowing already! I do NOT want to lose, yet I'll be
fighting essentially random opponents.

--matt