[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Aug 4 04:51:13 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly:

> I do NOT want to lose, yet I'll be fighting essentially random
> opponents.

Yeah, I think it's a mistake to assume we all need a lot of personal
investment in who we want to beat.  Gratifying our own egos is first
and foremost.  I've had a few games with Axis & Allies players
online, that I've never seen much before and I'll never see again.
The more important sales point is the character of who you're
fighting, not how well you know him.  First you start with posturing
in the newsgroup.  You're arguing about what is or isn't a valid A&A
strategy.  Then you duke it out in a game.  You get to know them
personally a little teeny bit through the ingame chat.  Enough that
when he quits in a huff, you feel *very* satifisfied that you got
him!  You don't need some recurring multi-week relationship with him
to feel good about kicking his ass.  Just that he was a boaster that
represented some kind of challenge, and was enough of a human being
to be a crybaby when you whipped him.

Think drama, not time committment.

People like to prove that they're right.  They don't care at who's
expense.

20% of the world is real.