[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Aug 5 16:46:23 CEST 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, John Buehler wrote:
> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> I'm not sure I agree with you about the 'true spirit of
>> competition.' For instance, I'm fighting in my first submission
>> grappling tournament next week. I've never met or heard of any of
>> the people I'll be fighting, but I can tell you that the
>> competitive juices are flowing already! I do NOT want to lose,
>> yet I'll be fighting essentially random opponents.

> Your point is certainly valid.  Perhaps I continue to introduce
> that social angle on everything.  If I compete, I like to compete
> with the same folks because of the social ties that it produces.
> At the same time, I assume that all people are fundamentally
> social, so I assume that the effect is present to at least some
> degree.  Would you *favor* tackling opponents that are random each
> time you go to a tournament or would you prefer a kind of
> continuity so that you can measure your success?  Perhaps there's
> an achievement element that contributes to what I'm talking about:
> without some kind of consistency in opponents, it's more difficult
> to come up with a sense of whether a competitor is making any
> progress, just as it's more difficult to develop a sense of
> socialization.

I think I'd probably prefer tackling random opponents at this
stage. It's more exciting, as I don't know how the person I'll fight
is going to fight. Does he prefer armbars? Triangle chokes? Ankle
locks? Does he generally escape the guard to the left side or the
right side? Is he a bottom fighter or a top fighter? I dunno,
there's just something kind of exciting about not knowing the
strengths and weaknesses of my opponent.

--matt