[MUD-Dev] "The Artisan's Hands" - Storytelling tools

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Aug 7 02:09:45 CEST 2002

Michael Tresca wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 7:31 AM

>> In the MUD world there are no advertizing campaigns, so finding
>> MUDs that did this and this and that storywise sounds highly
>> problematic.

> What?

> RetroMUD advertises.  Medievia advertises.  Achaea advertises.

They certainly haven't reached me, a game designer who has
downloaded plenty of demos the past 4 years, but hasn't been
particularly interested in MUDs until recently.  I don't think
you're appreciating how rarefied the MUD audience is.  You don't
walk into EBX and see endcap displays for MUDs.  Not unless they're
EQ, UO, or Baldur's Gate.

> Medievia, if I recall, advertised in a major computer magazine a
> few years ago.

I didn't see it.

> RetroMUD has advertised in the MUD Companion

I've got 1 issue of "MUD Companion" because I came to your guys'
dinner at GDC 2002.  Otherwise I would have never heard of the
publication.

> and through banner advertising.

I've never seen a banner ad for a MUD.

> Dozens of other MUDs use the same approach.

If mainstream game titles are the point of comparision - and I think
that's fair if you're griping about how much the games industry does
or doesn't know about MUD development and history - this advertizing
is miniscule.  Nobody hears about X, and that's why nobody knows
that X has been done before.

> MUDConnector is, fortunately or unfortunately, the be-all-end-all
> place for MUDs to advertise what they are and aren't.  Most
> players who are looking for a particular type of MUD tend to look
> there.

Which says a lot about what level of advertizing dollars MUDs are
really operating at.  Get real.  Nobody knows about this stuff.

20% of the world is real.