[MUD-Dev] narrative

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Fri Aug 9 00:50:45 CEST 2002

Bruce Mitchener wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>> I do not see that a technology can ever resolve these issues.  I
>> believe if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.  If
>> I gotta do it myself, I don't need an AI technology.

> So, I think Narrative technology as a whole has some value.

My own storwriting experience leads me to believe that AI tools have
no value whatsoever.  Writing stories is hard, it must be solved by
human talent.  A *lot* of talent.

Well, at least to write stories well.  You can write a lot of things
that aren't stories, that are just boring mechanical gobbledygook,
that a lot of silly people will still play with and call
"entertainment."  Look at sales of Diablo II and Morrowind for
instance.  But you don't need any AI storytelling technologies to
pull tha toff.

>  From the introduction to the dissertation by Michael Brooks:

Look, bottom line this.  Can any of these theory R&D guys actually
write?  Have they ever produced anything remotely resembling a good
story, let alone a good story with their research tools?  Attempts
at frameworks can be impressive, for instance I have respect for
what Chris Crawford has attempted to do with the Erasmatron.
However, the bottom line is: no product.  Why are we listening to
researchers who have not proven that they are also good writers?

I think these R&D guys avoid learning how to write because they'd
rather keep going in a kind of discipline / mentality / engineering
methodology that is more familiar and tractable to them.  I'd love
to read the writing of a R&D guy that proves me wrong.

> I think that these sorts of things could also be interesting in
> not-quite-storytelling sorts of ways.

This is where I think the real potential of "AI" tools is, and to
the extent that I actually write, I have no interest in them.  It's
not writing and it never will be.  You can't make a silk purse out
of a sow's ear.

20% of the world is real.