[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Fri Aug 9 01:13:43 CEST 2002

Jack Britt:

> I was wondering what skills I could implement in my mud. So far I
> have these non-combat skills. Is there anything not on the list
> (aside from magic) that players seem to enjoy?

  Climbing
  Jumping
  Falling
  Mountaineering
  Orienteering
  Sailing
  Swimming
  Atheltics - how fast you move (borrrring!)

Outdoorsy stuff, you get the idea.

I don't know that players enjoy them though.  I thought Jumping was
damn boring in Morrowind.  It was godawful expensive to level up
anything in Morrowind, and I saw precious little in my travels that
Jumping would have been particularly useful for.  Far easier to
acquire potions or magic items of levitation.

Swimming and Athletics were beyond boring, they were outright tedium
that I just don't think should be part of a game.  There should be
no in-game mechanic that forces you to move at an incredibly slow
pace all of the time.  I bet the designer put it in because "Hey!
We can make a scalar for everything, we can have realism that way!"
Well, a lot of realistic stuff is tedious and you should leave it
out.

20% of the world is real.