[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

fred at clift.org fred at clift.org
Fri Aug 9 15:55:47 CEST 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, shren wrote:

> When throwing random properties on a weapon, make sure that you
> have some predisposition towards properties that make it a good
> weapon.

But what is really fun is to make items that while powerful, have
negative side-effects.  I dislike seeing uber-items that have no
cost.

You have an item that helps you regen magical abilities?  Perhaps it
cuts off most of your senses (ie blind and deaf) while wearing it...
Ie the sensory deprivation helps you meditate and recover more
quickly.

Or the clasic, a ring of regeneration that makes you eat like a
horse...

Or a weapon that does lots of damage, but the magic that makes your
blows land harder also pulls you off balance making you fall on your
butt every once in a while...

These are far more fun to make, and far more interesting to see in
use...  at least to me...

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred at clift.org -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.