[MUD-Dev] Character skill amplifying player skill

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Sat Aug 10 05:13:58 CEST 2002

Brian Hook wrote:

> So, let's factor in character attributes by allowing it to
> actually amplify or modulate the effects of player skill.  (Note,
> following numbers are pulled out of thin air, they're just
> examples).  So say you have a Piloting skill attribute that ranges
> from -100% to +100%.

> Character A has a Piloting skill of -60%, so now his ship has a
> turning radius of 72 degrees/second.  Character B has a Piloting
> skill of +10%, so his ship now has a turning radius of 198
> degress/second.  Same thing applies to acceleration -- 2.4G
> acceleration vs 6.6G acceleration.  And weapon damage can be
> adjusted by your Tactical rating, etc. etc.

> Player skill is still involved in the arcade element, but now
> character skill is used as a handicap or benenfit.  Missiles and
> cannon are still manually aimed and fired, ships are still
> manually steered, but now you're looking at a vastly different
> outcome (that's still not necessarily pre-ordained) solely because
> of character attributes, but without removing the real-time arcade
> like nature of the game.

Another possible would be that the more skilled character gets
helpful aids.  It might be handy since it augments a different set
of human abilities.  This could be passive, for a racing game, the
racing line and indicators for when to break/change gear.  For space
fighter Subspace thingy, additional information such as projections
of where the enemy fighters are heading in the next second or two
(also simulates extra initiative).  Alternatively, it could be
active, such as micro-thrusts which position the fighter in a
slightly better position for shooting or dodging.

I suppose the above might instead be buyable equipment or come in
the form of character implants.  Designer's choice.

A random thought is to give characters a luck attribute for getting
out of sticky situations.  Cat's nine lives as it were.  I suppose
this might be more suitable for a pulp/cinematic game.  Fancy
turning your game into a western set in space? :)

> Likewise, character skill could be used to compensate for
> equipment differences -- a shuttle with a turn rate of 90
> degrees/second vs. a fighter with a turn rate of 180
> degress/second can be its match when flown by a VERY good pilot
> (+100%) vs. an average one (0%).

I have to say that if it was me and my terrible reflexes, this might
actually prove to be a disadvantage. :) Not at +/-10% tho.

> I like this because it still makes the game feel action oriented,
> but at the same time character attributes and equipment still play
> a major part and a Level 4 LPB isn't going to automatically toast
> a Level 14 HPB.

[snipped Rogue Spear]

> But maybe other graphical games have introduced this (Deus Ex also
> comes to mind, but it had a woefully flawed implementation that
> only diminished innate player skill instead of amplifying poor
> player skill -- not having Rifle skill only hurt you, but having
> it didn't help you other than by removing a penalty).

Having not played Deus Ex (don't say a word), care to explain how it
handled this?

--
  |   Ling
_O_O_