[MUD-Dev] narrative

Robert Zubek rob at cs.northwestern.edu
Sun Aug 11 21:25:40 CEST 2002

From: Bruce Mitchener
> Robert Zubek wrote:

>> Whether a strong Prolog inference engine is the way to go in this
>> case, is another question - though it's worthwhile to attack the
>> problem from all possible angles. But personally, my money is on
>> simpler techniques. :)

> Which systems and techniques are you thinking of?

I've been particularly impressed with the related efforts of the Oz
group [1], Mateas and Stern [2], and Zoesis Studios [3].

Their emphasis is on building engaging characters with 'broad and
shallow' rather than 'narrow and deep' intelligence. The main claim
is that shallower, biologically inspired techniques are better
suited for building characters that express rich personality and
behave in human ways - and they have very interesting results to
support them. But for details of that argument, I'm going to defer
to Mateas' overview [4]. :)

Rob

[1] http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/oz/web/papers.html
[2] http://www.interactivestory.net/