[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Aug 13 09:25:55 CEST 2002

From: "Vincent Archer" <archer at frmug.org>
> According to Dave Rickey:

>> This is not quite accurate.  Some fields are saved on a
>> per-instance basis, some it is taken from the template object.
>> For example, the

> Yuck. I should have known that, otherwise, the "grand stat
> improvement" (which occured when every +X bonus to a stat got 50%
> higher) would have been quite hard to do.

> But then, the recent changes (for Spellcraft and I presume
> Alchemy) put you closer to a real flexible.

Flexibility you don't need is memory bandwidth you don't have to
spend.  We're pushing close enough to the limitations of the
hardware, it's a real concern.

>> The one bad part is that every time we want to change what is
>> saved, the entire character database on each server has to be
>> converted to use the new format.  This adds about an hour to the
>> time it takes to patch.

> Another big question is how flexible the server code is in that
> regard.  Does moving a property from template to instance require
> lots of rewriting or was it modular enough from the start.

The server code that deals with this data doesn't know if the
properties it is accessing are coming from the template or the
instance.  It's transparent to it either way.  The only code that
has to change are the parts that control reading and saving the
character data.

--Dave