[MUD-Dev] Noncombat(and combat) skills

Jo Dillon jo at groupinfo.com
Tue Aug 13 10:03:10 CEST 2002

On 12 Aug 2002 at 15:32, Arnau Rosselló Castelló wrote:

> I think that rather than designing skills one-by-one, thinking
> "will players like to do this?", you should try to tie them
> together in the gameplay/economy of the game, for example, we
> begin with "alchemist"(I'm thinking more of a set of abilities
> than an ability alone):

>   -Alchemist
>    Needs:
>     Minerals                         -->Miner
>     Herbs                            -->Herbalist
>     Parts of monsters(eg. Ogre bone) -->Fighter,Medic(if you need a
>                                    kidney...)
>    Provides:
>     Healing potions                  -->Fighter
>     Poison                           -->Assasin
>     Identifies potions               -->Fighter(well, whoever finds
>     it)

This sounds a little bit like the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay system,
whereby you progress from career to career; each career requires
certain skills to enter it, gives you the chance to learn certain
other skills, and allows you to progress on to certain other
careers. So your Alchemist might be someone who used to be a Miner
or a Herbalist, picking up the appropriate skill from their career
and learning the other one as part of their career progression.
Incidentally, Games Workshop (the people who created Warhammer
Fantasy Roleplay) seem to be writing a MMORPG
(www.warhammeronline.com) - anyone from there on this list? :)

--

	Jo