[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 14:25:17 CEST 2002

Wednesday, August 07, 2002, 6:17:05 AM,
Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> This made me think of Halo's life system, which I think is a
> beautiful mechanic. For those who have missed out, you have two
> health bars in Halo, one is physical health, and the other is your
> shield. Physical health can only be regained from health packs,
> shield health recharges after about 10 seconds of no damage to the
> player. All damage is applied to the shield first, so you only
> take physical damage with a fully depleted shield. The beauty of
> this mechanic is that you can be in a dire situation with no
> physical health, but with skill and tactics you can survive thanks
> to the shield.

This reminds me in turn of one of the types of systems that I
mentioned earlier in this thread -- ones where "reducing/avoiding
damage through defense" is not integrated into hit points, as it is
in xD&D, but broken out into a separate pool.  Examples of paper
games with such systems include Villains & Vigilantes, Lands of
Adventure, and WotC's version of Star Wars.

In such systems, the "defense points" often recover much faster...
just as the "shield points" do in the system described above.

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net