[MUD-Dev] Re: The total DBMS approach

Derek Licciardi kressilac at insightBB.com
Tue Aug 13 15:33:55 CEST 2002

From: Aaron "the mad man" Weeks
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> In deciding to run from MySQL, I am also taking into consideration
> its limitations.  As far as no nested queries, I can get around
> that with no problem.  If it is a problem, I'll hope MySQL 4.1 has
> it working by the time I finish.  If I remember correctly though,
> MySQL only allows DB writes one at a time, whereas the big
> powerhouse DBs can have multiple writes.  This kind of concerns
> me, but it shouldn't end up too much differently than flat file.
> It will just be easier to deal with info.

The serialized writes are due to page locking instead of row
locking.  It theoretically can do multiple writes and reads as long
as you're not trying to do it from the same database page.  Since
this is a very specific DB topic, I'd be glad to field your
questions offline and provide suggestions on how to work within this
limitation as page level locking is not specific to MySQL and
probably not of great interest to this list. (It used to be standard
in MS SQL Server 6.5 and earlier versions of Sybase SQL Server) All
this said, I don't think you'll have a problem with MySQL given the
user loads you are discussing.  MySQLs limitations only become
visible with scale from my understanding of the DBMS.(cursory at
best)

Derek