[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Thu Aug 15 00:53:26 CEST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Damion Schubert wrote:

> I've always liked systems that force players to make interesting
> choices.  If the regeneration on your ring was fast enough, for
> example, it might be perfect for a mage who needs to heal in the
> battle while his tank soaks some damage.  But then, I always
> favored the sick Magic cards like Lich that were considered
> unusable by most of the player base as well. =)

I think that an interesting item generator would have a certain
level of "goodness" in its items, and would choose from one to ten
"good" properties.  Each property is weighted in value, so that a +1
damage bonus has less value than a +5.  However, to balance the
large amount of "goodness" on an item, random "bad" properties would
have to be added to balance the item on its base "goodness" level.
Sure, you'd still have rings that regenerate while causing
blindness, but since there's no limit to how high goodness gets
before the item is balanced, you could have a hammer that instantly
slays all but the nastiest enemies, but reduces its wielder's health
to almost nothing while inflicting blindness and constant damage -
generated by a level zero chest!

I wonder what kind of in-game effect this would have?

--
Zach Collins (Siege)