[MUD-Dev] narrative

dmiles at users.sourceforge.net dmiles at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 15 01:22:13 CEST 2002

Neat,

From: Jeremy Noetzelman
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Dave Rickey wrote:

>> Are these great art?  Rousing stories?  No, not even close.  But
>> they can be an interesting way to while away a few hours while
>> hanging out with your friends.

> And this is exactly why I play MUDs and MMOGs.  I don't play them
> because they're such wonderful literary creations.  I'll read a
> book if I want compelling writing.  When I play a MUD or a MMOG, I
> play because /I/ create my own story in my head with the framework
> I'm given by the game.  I don't think that I'm alone in this
> belief.

The goal of R&D interactive muds is detecting the true nature of
each players imagination..  To be capable of combining the
understood pragmatic game rules vs what the player is trying to
accomplish.  The system puts itself in your place to understand
choices you can already make, what could prove as a challenge, and
what information you would like to know about.  Once making partial
commitment it trys to model your internal model enough to create
samll satisfactions without giving the entire thing away.  Since
nothing is final it allows this process to keep going in a looped
fasion. You (as the player) are required to make up all frames
paths, it's is existing framework is only there to suggest the
current navigation domains that it can go.