[MUD-Dev] They fight! And bite! They fight and bite and fight! Fight fight fight! Bite bite bite!

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Sat Aug 17 02:09:55 CEST 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Jack Britt wrote:

> I'm looking for a good combat system for use in my MUD. I've
> skimmed the archives and used Google, but haven't really found
> what I need. I'm trying to avoid the D&D style of combat. Does
> anyone here have any good websites for something like this?

Are you looking to avoid specifically D&D combat, or are you trying
to avoid RPG combat, or what?  Do you mean diceless systems with
little or no random number generation, or do you mean an entirely
different style of combat?  While I don't know about websites, I
might recommend looking at various RPGs, board games, and miniatures
rules to see how they do combat.

As examples, Dragonlance Fifth Age used "fate cards", BESM uses
did-I-win-AND-you-lose tests, SCM FreeForm uses directly comparative
dice rolls (I have more, but you rolled a higher total), Legend of
the Five Rings (pre-D20) uses roll-X#dice-keep-Y-beat-score
(according to my sister, 4k2 is statistically better than 3k3).
Amber uses a diceless system, but I'm not familiar with the
mechanics of it.

Oh, yeah.  Cheapass Games does have some free game rules on their
website, including Roll Out the Gun Barrels, which is a mass-combat
system based (like Ironclaw) on die sizes.

  http://www.cheapass.com/neat/freegames.shtml

--
Zach Collins (Siege)