[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Aug 18 23:19:57 CEST 2002

Brad McQuaid wrote:

> I hate to nitpick, but EQ didn't have squat for marketing early
> on, especially pre-release.  There was none, and then there was an
> ad run for like 3 months in like the four major mags of the time
> (PC Games, PC Gamer, CGW, Computer Games Strategy Plus?).

Even if that's squat for marketing by common commercial standards,
that's a helluva lot compared to what the average text MUD does,
which is what this thread was previously discussing.  (Not that it
must keep doing that forever.)

> we even got that PC Games cover early on ourselves, and went on
> road trips with a computer that would run EQ, flying all over the
> place

And so then you stepped in and evangelized the hell out of EQ.
Again, maybe not much by common commercial standards (am I
understanding you correctly on this?), but this is *SHEER TONS* of
marketing compared to what the average text MUD does.

EQ was a success.  So I would say to the average text MUDder, look
what marketing can accomplish!

> But, in any case, I must respectfully disagree: you certainly do
> NOT need marketing to make a hugely successful game.  With the
> Internet, word of mouth, a very strong game, good timing, etc.,
> you can do it alone.

I think what you're really saying is you don't need megabucks of
marketing.

20% of the world is real.