[MUD-Dev] narrative

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Aug 18 23:43:57 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>> John Robert Arras wrote:

>>> I am not interested in writing stories.

>> Then we're not on the same page.  Maybe you could start a new
>> thread with a different title?

> Why? It's called "Narrative" not "Writing". They aren't the same
> thing. Writing is just one way to convey a narrative, though you
> aren't willing to recognize that apparently.

Ok, so it appears you're going to branch off into how people make up
their own narratives for themselves.

> Frankly, for me at least, the sophistication of Morrowind is
> almost enough for me. I am having such a good time in that world,
> and the stories coming out of it are actually interesting to me. A
> good friend of mine who is also playing Morrowind and I have spent
> literally hours on the phone to each other eagerly relating our
> trials, tribulations, and triumphs of our characters, and to me,
> this is the best kind of storytelling.

Oh dear!  We are most definitely *not* on the same page.  So pardon
if I don't respond further to any of your points, and instead refer
you to my long rants about the storytelling problems of Morrowind:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=hFlY8.13073%24Kx3.3991%40newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net

<EdNote: Quoted>

--<cut>--