[Mud-Dev] Social Networks

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Fri Aug 23 19:03:45 CEST 2002

[Phinehas]

> Then again, MUDs might not always be about goblin-thwacking.  Some
> players seem to be looking for a sense of accomplishment or
> achievement (so I hear).  I'm not sure that this is a need for
> self-actualization though.  I may simply be a desire for fun.

A very good point. I think it would be possible to enumerate a
number of things people want/need/enjoy out of MUDs. It's just going
to look nothing like Maslow's, it'll be slightly different for
different people, and their order of precedence is likely to be
hairier than Maslow's hierarchy in its idealized form.  (e.g., What
if I prefer A to B, and B to C, but I also prefer C to A in pairwise
comparisons? What if Jane likes A more, while John's thing is B?
etc.)

Certainly "mere" desires are still sufficient to foster
community. The theoretical status of accomplishment, fun, etc. is
nearly beside the point.

> I get the sense (both from this and earlier responses to one of
> JB's posts) that you have some pretty strongly formed opinions
> about needs vs.  desires (or perhaps some other distiction that
> I'm just not getting). Your responses have had the kind of passion
> typical of those who have investigated all sides of an issue and
> come to some solid conclusions.  This makes me curious, since I
> have the feeling there is a strong debate going on out there about
> which I know very little.  (Well, no doubt there's more than
> one. :P)

The response to this gets pretty far off topic, so I sent it to
Phinehas directly, and will also send it to anyone who is
interested. Just drop me a line.

Sasha