[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Harrok harrok at austarmetro.com.au
Fri Aug 23 21:24:01 CEST 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> However, I'm looking at up-to-the-minute stats for Achaea, and
> noticing that approximately 40% of our players who are currently
> online are in a players player-city. Granted, Achaea is a lot less
> goal-oriented than Everquest, but cities don't have to be a wealth
> of excitement for them to be attractive to players. They're where
> players can go to be somewhat safe from their enemies (some people
> almost never leave their city due to the fact that they are trying
> to wait out the bloodlust of someone they previously
> wronged). They're where a lot of quality roleplaying takes place,
> and so on.

I haven't played Achaea -- clearly I should. Those figures suggest
your cities do work as advertised and achieve a critical mass of
people in them, although I wonder how those figures vary during the
course of the day?

It's a problem for people like me -- as a player -- rather than a
problem for developers, but those of us in places like Australia
generally find the quality of the gaming experience much lower,
because the vast bulk of MUD/MMORPG players are in North
America. It's like perpetually wandering the world at 2:00am on a
Tuesday morning ;-)

But of course that's not a problem that game developers can
addresss.

Cheers
Bill