[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Freeman Freeman
Mon Aug 26 08:35:56 CEST 2002

From: Dave Rickey

> What I find myself wondering is, if we can create explicit support
> (or even encouragement) of multiple hubs and more cross-cluster
> random links, will that make guilds less likely to migrate?

I've thought about this in the context of using "NPC guilds"
(warrior's guild, church of whatever, wizard's guild, etc., as
opposed to the PC guilds): Essentially converting them to
open-enrollment PC guilds (with some NPCs hanging around to provide
training and the like).  The advancement mechanism can even be
completely different than the "level up" mechanism the rest of the
game recognizes.

Essentially, all the people of the same class are essentially in the
same "guild" fictionally, but in fact don't need each other and in
most cases it's even counter-productive for them to work together.
It's the fellowship-of-the-ring model of gameplay that's caused
this: The party needs *one* ranger, *one* elf, *one* dwarf, *one*
wizard, etc.  'Cause the book says so.

What you get with a multiple hub organization would be: A group of
Elves on an adventure.  A group of Warriors on an adventure.  Etc.
Your elven warrior would be a member of three in-game societies:
Elves, Warriors, and your PC guild (the mardi gras parade of what
passes for normal in these games now).  Actually doing things with
other members of those groups from time to time.

But that requires that being a member of each of these societies
actually mean something: Not *merely* a recognition of membership
(which is all we have now), but advancement through cooperation.
Common goals.  "We warriors all need to get together and do X." and
"We elves are ganging-up and doing Y."