[MUD-Dev] Mud Advertising

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Wed Aug 28 19:13:28 CEST 2002

Christopher Allen wrote:
> "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>:

>> Awfully hard to argue with a > 1000% ROI. MUD advertising works,
>> period.

> Our experience with PvP comic site was also that positive,
> however, only for a month or so. It rapidly plateau'ed
> down. Changing ads mid-stream helped with some pop up in results,
> but basically the well quickly went dry.

I wonder if there's some kind of law of diminishing returns for
advertising.

Meridian 59 just did a small advertising campaign on Penny Arcade
(http://www.penny-arcade.com/) this month.  The results were very
welcome, with a 400% increase in new subscriptions the first week,
falling to merely a 200% increase in new subscriptions in subsequent
weeks compared to historical data.  We changed ads during the time
period, but this didn't seem to have a noticeable effect on the
number of new subscriptions from what I noticed.

Overall, we're happy with the results.  We've signed up for 2 more
months later this year.  It will be interesting to see how our
subscription rates fare while running no ads for a bit then while
running more ads later this year.

I wonder if one of the problems is that sites like PvP have a set
group of dedicated fans that doesn't grow in size all that much over
short periods of time. So, after the "newness" of the ads to that
market wears off, you don't really get more new people coming into
the site and therefore fewer people that haven't already
ignored/checked out your ad.

One caveat to this is that Meridian 59 is in a bit different
situation than either Achaea or Skotos.  We're still working on
getting the word out to former fans of the game that the game is
back up and running at a reasonable price.  This may influence the
results, obviously.

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
       Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
     |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-' http://meridian59.neardeathstudios.com/
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)    Welcome back to your favorite online game.