[MUD-Dev] Muds and High School Textbooks

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at alltel.net
Sat Aug 31 01:35:02 CEST 2002

My daughter brought this interesting blurb to my attention.  It's
from a high school text book in psychology.

'Understanding Psychology' - Richard A Kasschau, PHD. McGraw-Hill
2001 On page 7 of Chapter 1 Section 1 in a sidebar...

----cut-----
Addicted to the Internet

It's 4 A.M. and "Steve" is engulfed in the green glare of his
computer screen, one minute pretending he's a ruthless mafia lord
masterminding a gambling empire, the next minute imagining he's an
evil sorcerer or an alien life form.

Steve, a college student, is playing a Multiple User Dungeon (MUD)
game -- a fictional game modeled after Dungeons and Dragons that is
played by sending online messages to other players. But as he
continually logs on for hours, Steve finds himself sleeping through
classes, forgetting his homework, and slipping into "Internet
addiction"...

--from the APA Monitor, June 1996
----end cut----

--