[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 14:47:51 CET 2002

From: "Sage" <sage at austin.rr.com>

> I still hold with my point.  We are no more or less responsible
> than a candy company.  We all know that candy is bad for kid's
> teeth, and candy companies continue to advertise toward children.
> Does this make them responsible for a person whose teeth fall out?
> Does it make them partially responsible?  What in the heck does
> partially mean?  Of course it doesn't.  A kid shouldn't be given
> candy in great abundance and an adult should know when to stop
> eating it.  Is candy bad for people?  Sure, not taken in
> moderation most things are.  How should this affect candy makers?
> Should they stop boxing candies in packages of more than three
> "pieces" at a time.  Should they make the candy taste worse by
> using a sugar substitute.  I know, perhaps they should remove the
> chocolate and use CAROB.  (NOOOO!!!!)

This is a horrible analogy.  Nobody is Winning by eating candy.  And
if they did, you'd have the same problem that we have in games.

Ever see Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?  The dad with the
little rich girl?  He paid *whole teams* of people to open thousands
of chocolate bars, hoping for that one golden ticket.  (DING!)

And that's the exact same thing players do, but they aren't able to
pay whole teams of people to do it.  And the contest...never...ends.

Madrona Tree.