[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Koster Koster
Mon Dec 9 15:04:46 CET 2002

From: Matthew Dobervich

> My initial gut reaction is that instancing creates more problems
> in a persistant world than it attempts to solve.

> If there are any PC game developers that could prove me wrong, I
> wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard could, and they aren't
> completely wet behind the ears when it comes to the challenges of
> large scale networked games.

I've got friends at Blizzard. I hope none of them take offense to
what I am about to say, but...

Yes, they ARE completely wet behind the ears when it comes to the
challenges of large-scale network games.

What they have done, and done pretty well, is build a large-scale
lobby.  This lobby connects many instances of small-scale networked
games.  Tremendously popular and successful networked games,
definitely. A major achievement, to be sure. But a large-scale
network GAME is a very different beast.

-Raph