[MUD-Dev] expansion packs

Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 10 10:25:04 CET 2002

Eric Hu wrote:

> It will occur, and had occured.

So it has occurred in your case (power gamer). But is yours an
extreme case? Dave Rickey mentioned in a parallel thread under the
same subject:

Dave Rickey wrote:

> When do you walk away from the money?  EQ has 400,000 subscribers,
> a revenue stream approaching $5,000,000 monthly.  How far would
> that have to drop before continued development and expansion packs
> weren't worth the investment?

Last time I checked (around last year), EQ had a little over 250,000
subscribers. Now, there could be a large turn-over rate there... but
I was shocked to find out recently that a friend of mine who has
made his living selling EQ items, still is after four years of
playing.

I'd like to see stats on how many subscribers EQ has lost and how
many of the 400,000 are over one year old.

> Even a power gamer, they will consider "is it an endless path?"
> My friends and I, we 11 ppls had more than 20 sets of EQ
> accounts. How many ppls left inside EQ after PoP released? only
> 3. and 2 of the 3 ppls are jobless. How many time Verant raised
> the level cap? 2 times, from 50 to 60, then 60 to 65. Who could
> say Sony wont release another expansion pack when he need more
> cash? Exp grinding is ok, but endless exp grinding is not
> fun. Killing the first dragon in your life is exciting, killing
> the 1001 huge red dragon lord isn't.

Playing devil's advocate: Obviously just adding new levels,
different colored super armor and yet another big monster won't cut
it for the veteran power gamers who want something different to
kill.

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu