[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Dec 10 11:58:55 CET 2002

According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

> Playing AC2 really reminded me that it's going to become harder
> and harder to launch new MMOs given that the old ones keep getting
> polished and enhanced. Launching a sparse game and planning to pad
> it out for two years is looking increasingly unviable.

That's one remark I've seen bandied about. Most of my friends tend
to play newer games, but they tire of it and go back to EQ.

The reason? Content.

With 4 expansions now, EQ has oodles of content that no new MMORPG
going out can really compete with. Tons of intricate and completely
different looking areas. Tens of thousand different items. Nearly a
hundred different visual models of MOBs (one of my friend got tired
of DAoC because, at his level, all he was every fighting was
differently colored werewolves and spiders, which looked exactly the
same as the spiders and werewolves he had fought 10 levels ago in a
different zone).

If you want to launch a new game now, you can't get away with the
idea that you're going to fill your world "later". If you deliver
too late, the players will have migrated to other games by the time
the expansion arrives.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)