[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 10 23:36:12 CET 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> From my point of view, Battle.net is poorly designed in terms of
> community and communication features. Nearly every game with an
> online lobby like this is poorly done too, from Age of Mythology
> to MechAssault. The games themselves are fine (well, I don't think
> much of WCIII multi-player), but the lobby areas lack thought.

While Battle.net is kinda lame UI wise, I think the type of game
(RTS) has a lot to do with the level of community interaction. What
are the three commonly used phrases in an RTS online game?

I betcha they are: 1) RUSH RUSH RUSH 2) I need a <blank> defense 3)
gg

I've never seen an in character message from a team member on an
RTS.

  "Hail and well met good sir, shall we do battle against Orcs
  today? The winds tell me that an Orc settlement lies over the
  ridge. Perhaps an outfit of Knights galloping at full speed will
  do those bloody Orcs in."

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu