[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:36:17 CET 2002

From: "Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com>

> Maybe this is all that is needed for most people who play MMOGs
> but lack the self-control to limit their own play time.  Have the
> game system lock out people voluntarily for whatever duration they
> want, or have it limit them to xx hours a day.  Who am I to judge
> that 10 hours is too much for you, or that 1 hr is just right.  Or
> that the pure accumulation of wealth corrupts your moral compass.
> My philosophy is that your vices and virtues are yours.  I'll help
> you anyway I can, but the first step is to ask for it.

I don't think it's a bad idea.

A long time ago, I suggested to Raph that they add a "Sleep Timer"
to SWG, similar to what most Televisions have.  So that youd type
/sleep or something, and a box would pop up and ask you when you
wanted to log off.  You type in 2:00 for 2 hours, and hit "OK."  In
1:50, the game would warn you that you had 10 minutes to log out,
and in 2:00, the game would log you out.

I don't think the feature made it into implementation, but I still
think it's a good idea.

Madrona Tree.